With the winter weather finally ariving it's a good time to remind everyone of some safety tips to keep our runs fun.
You can run in almost any conditions with the exception of during or just after freezing rain. If it's a skating rink out there, stay at home and go running tomorrow.
Apart from that, here are some tips to make your run a little safer:
- Dress in layers so you can add or remove clothing as needed.
- Wear moisture wicking clothing close to your skin.
- Cover your exposed skin if it's below freezing.
- Wear reflective clothing and use lights.
- Run into the wind for the first half of your run so you don't go out too far.
- Run loop routes from your finish point so you can take a shortcut home if you get into trouble.
- Make mental notes of places you can get assistance like gas stations or stores.
- Stay hydrated, the cold can dehydrate you as fast as the heat.
- Carry a cell phone.
- Tell someone where you're going and how long you plan to be out.
- Avoid getting in front of moving cars when it's icy.
- If you HAVE to run in the road, face the traffic and be prepared to jump into the snow bank if necessary.
- Don't presume that drivers have seen you just because they are looking at you.
- Don't try to get a personal best when it's icy.
Above all, enjoy being outdoors and don't do anything stupid and by the springtime you'll be way ahead of everyone who spent the winter indoors.